In June 2003, Project Lifesaver (PLS) began as a loss reduction initiative for ACIG to assist Members in focusing their attention on strategic, well-defined initiatives to reduce the severity and frequency of their workers' compensation, general and auto liability losses. We estimate our Members have prevented over 3,300 claims since the beginning of Project Lifesaver. In addition, the following rate reductions exhibit the effectiveness of this initiative due to the teamwork between our Members and the ACIG service teams, as well as the support displayed by our Members’ executive leadership.
- 53% WC loss rate reduction
- 73% GL loss rate reduction
- 43% AL loss rate reduction
We continue to raise the bar as our goals for Project Lifesaver Phase IV, - (2015 - 2019) are (1) to prevent all jobsite deaths, and (2) to achieve a 40% reduction in the PLS loss rates over the next four policy years. In order to assist our Members in achieving this new set of goals, our strategic plans are to:
- Continue to cultivate ACIG's Serious Injury & Fatality (SIF) process and engagement to reduce claims severity.
- Utilize our best practices in claims to reduce costs, litigation expenses and claims settlements.
- Intensify our focus on contiributing and root cause analysis.
- Launch and mature our Members' Near Miss and Good Catch programs, in our effort to reduce SIF harm on our construction projects.
- Release the improved Safety Best Practices Survey incorporating near miss and wellness.
- Conduct Safety Culture Evaluations and identify key characteristics of the top PLS performers.
- Continue the annual Best Practices meetings with an emphasis on Executive and Operational leadership.
- Conduct Annual Project Lifesaver meetings with a continued emphasis on the Contractor Action Plan.
- Continually enhance the ACIG Sharing Knowledge (ASK) Platform to enable best practices sharing.